Hannah Streeter and Emily Schroer are Seniors on the Carroll High Swim Team. Monday’s Home Swim Meet is Senior Night. Here are reflective moments they shared with Mr. Thelin last week.
1. What is your favorite part of practice? Both said something similar: My favorite part is getting done with a hard workout and feeling amazing afterwards. I love the feeling of being sore and tired after practice and feel like you accomplished something great and you feel like you could do anything.
2. What events are you competing in this year? (HS: I have mainly been doing the 200 yard freestyle. I tried the 500 once and got a surprisingly good time, considering, and I'm hoping to swim it at senior night on Monday.) (ES: I mainly compete in the 100 free, 200 free relay, 400 free relay, and I usually switch back and forth between 50 free and 100 back.)
3. What favorite memories do you have with the Swim program? (HS: Some of my favorite memories are ones simply of Coach going crazy cheering everyone on at swim meets.) (ES: My favorite memories I have with swimming is the end of the year team sleepover last year. It was so much fun and we had a great time.)
4. How many years have been part of the program? (HS: This is my 4th year swimming for Carroll High.) (ES: I have been in high school swim team for 3 years, CAST for 7 years, and summer swim for 9 years.)
5. What advice do you give to the younger GR swimmers? (HS: I would tell younger swimmers to really work hard. The Carroll High swim program is unlike any other program I've been involved in, and it's pretty difficult at times.) (ES: I would say to the GR young swimmers, don't be afraid to try it. Go out for a year and if you don't like, you don't like it. It's always worth trying, and its a lot of fun.)
6. How has swimming changed you into the person you are today? (HS: Swimming has given me a lot of self-discipline. I've learned that if I'm going to get what I want, I need to work for it.) (ES: Swimming has made me a lot more independent person. I do it because I want to, not because anyone else wants me to. I make lots of new friends and we spend a lot of time together. I helps to widen your horizons.)
7. Final comments? I asked Emily how much time she has spent swimming… “I would have to say I spent probably 80% of my life in the pool. I swim 3 seasons in a year. That adds up to 3/4 of a year I spend in the pool.”