In 1868 Glidden's Population was about 100. The railroad had been completed the previous year from Scranton to Carroll and Glidden was about to become an important station.
Communities were already flourishing along Purgatory Creek and the Raccoon River to the North and at Carrollton six miles south. People living in these communtities came to the railroad in Glidden for supplies.
Gradually, settlers started to build homes clustered around the railroad. A.B Wattles put up a store. Martin Peters, William Stiles, S. H. Glidden, William Harris, W.WE. Potter, M. W. Beach, and L. O. Bangs, the railroad agent built homes. Some of the settlers had young children.
It was time for a school.
The settlers recognized the need and proceeded to raise $2200 to build a two room schoolhouse. It was located on what is now the corner of Second and Montana streets on what of the highest points in the community. This was the site of the Herb Namanny and later Bruce Determan home.
The $2200 raised for the new school was a sizable sum for a few settlers in the area. it was likely raised by popular subscription. The new school was a mult-purpose building and was used for public meetings, parties, and church services as well as for school.
A picture taken just three years after the school opened and labeled "Whole School" shows 7 pupils, four boys and three girls of various ages. Pupils for Delos Waldron, Willie Pine, Ida Modeland, Willie Kimball, Sherman Waldron, Lizzie Campbell, and Nettie Porter.
Glidden's population grew from 177 in 1870 to 522 in 1885. The two room schoolhouse was too small. This school was used until 1879 when a three-story structure was built in what is now Glidden's City Park. The first two floors were used by four teachers and 180 students and the top floor was used as an entertainment hall. Because parents feared the top floor might collapse, it was removed in 1908 and replaced with a belfry. Glidden's third school, the National Normal School and Business College, was built in 1890 on what is now the corner of 3rd and Utah Streets. The college was in operation for eleven years, tuition was $5 a term, and board could be obtained for $2 a week. When the college closed, the building became the high school. Both the college building and the building in the city park were used until the present day school was built in 1922.
Picture of the school with Children in front of it.
Picture of the school with Children in front of it.
Glidden Orchestra 1914 (Is Merle Hay 2nd from the right?)
Old Football Team Photo (Year unknown)
Glidden High School
Early Syllabus- 1908
The Glidden Consolidated School was voted into existence April 2, 1917. Four days later, April 6, 1917 the United States declared war against Germany and entered World War 1. Obviously plans for the new district would have to be adjusted to America's entry into the war. The next decade was destined to he a tumultuous one. Many changes were ahead. There would be more than the usual amount of controversy. But through it all the school would make tremendous progress and would emerge as one of the very fine consolidated school of the state. Surprisingly, for a time after the declaration of war, plans seemed to proceed much as had been projected. That same month the district also voted to issue $90,000 in bonds to construct a new school bui]ding.
The total vote was overwhelming.
This is one of the early motor driven school busses used by the school starting in 1922. The driver pictured is Herman Smith. In the early years, drivers often owned the chassis of the bus and the school contracted with them and furnished the bus body. (Photo courtesy Harold Smith.)
Glidden advanced to the State Tournament many times in the early 1950's. Here is a celebration uptown.
Basketball Team 1952-1953
The Ralston school building shut down in 1976.
Approx 1983 Picture
Approx. 2007 Picture
Approx. 2018 Picture
Glidden had another school, the National Normal School and Business College. It was built in 1890 on what is now the corner of 3rd and Utah Streets. The college was in operation for eleven years, tuition was $5 a term, and board could be obtained for $2 a week. When the college closed, the building became the high school. Both the college building and the building in the city park were used until the present day school was built in 1922.
The following are the 23 individuals who have served as Superintendents of the School. The listed date is the year they were first selected as Superintendent.
1900 - J.H. Beveridge
1903 - E.D. Gepson
1905 - J.W. Atchley
1907 – W.H. Reever
1911 – W.H. Manifold
1912 – J.N. Cunningham
1913 – E.E. York
1920 – R.A. Griffin
1927 – Glenn B. Yearous
1931 – A.W. Moore
1937 – Ray Killion
1943 - Zell Berryhill
1947 – Melvin Poole
1948 – E.T. Mogck
1957 – Frank Hulsart
1962 – Richard Munster
1966 – Arnold Hjelle
1974 – Dale Johnson
2002 – Len Snyder
2003 – Vicki Lowe
2012 – Dave Haggard
2014 – Rob Olsen
2016 – Kreg Lensch
DeWolfe, Holmes, Sabin, Warner, Tipton, English, Treat, Gross, Mewhor, Essley (Don't know the first names)
Glidden-Ralston must stay in the forefront of Iowa's schools.
With the continuance of the kind of school philosophy and administration which the Glidden-Ralston community has enjoyed, the future looks bright indeed. G-R is one of the top schools in the state and must continue that way!!
Material compiled by Mr. Thelin with permission from Susan Young (Bill Ferguson Daughter)/Susan_Young_permission.jpg